Saturday, August 7, 2010

Secret Recipe (Shhhh)

Last time I was in Everett, my mom and I took a trip to the supermarket. We were getting pantry items and something for dinner. My mom offered to make her fabulous crock-pot pot roast and I can't tell you how excited I was. I love pot roast.

Anyway, my mom told me the story of her awesome dish came to be. Seems she used to work with this fellow who made an amazing pot roast. He'd bring it to all the office luncheons. His co-workers loved it so much, they begged for the recipe, but he would never give it to them. Turns out it was an old family secret. On his last day, my mom got him to give it up. And finally I got my mom to give up his recipe, but only after I swore that I wouldn't tell and especially not post it on my blog.

So we get to the store to get our "secret ingredient" and what do we see when we pull the box of Lipton onion soup mix from the shelf? Right there on the front of the box: "Great for Slow Cookers" with a recipe for pot roast on the back. So here's the recipe, sprinkle onion soup over the pot roast. Way to keep a family "secret."

4 comments:

daniel baudanza said...

my grandmother made the best burgers ever when I was a kid. Lipton Onion soup mix was her secret too....it is pretty awesome

Terri said...

Onion soup mix is a time honored tradition. It's surprisingly good. The key to the post roast thing is to not disrupt the onion soup on top. I mean, how can you go wrong with salt, dehydrated onion, and beef?

Krista said...

For about a year and a half now I've been on the fence about replacing our Crock Pot. Now I am off the fence and can't wait for pot roast weather. Thanks!

Terri said...

This is our first year with a crock pot, and boy do we love it. I'm a huge soup fan and that has a lot to do with it. It's great to come home after a long day to hot soup. Just say yes to the crock pot. Excuse me, I mean "slow cooker."